Our History

History of PJ Brooke Fencing and Sheds

A proud history of strong family values and quality craftsmanship

P J Brooke Fencing and Sheds is a family run business.  Philip and Rachel Brooke have a long traditional family history and knowledge of timber.

It all started with Rachel’s great, great grandfather William’s who became a wheelwright in the village of Abberley.  He moved to Martley and worked for the Earl of Dudley on the Great Witley Estate (known as Witley Court) making gates and general woodwork repairs. When the Earl of Dudley sold the estate in 1920, Great Grandfather William’s started up business on his own within the timber industry.

Rachel’s Grandfather Bob Williams took over from his father in 1936 making high-quality gates. He bought and sold round timber, supplying pear wood to Waterford Glass in Southern Ireland to purify glass until fruit farming in the area had declined and the supply of pear trees had finally run out.

Rachel’s father Andrew followed in the same footsteps felling timber becoming a local timber merchant setting up working sawmills in Martley supplying fencing materials and producing garden timber products. Rachel worked for her parents in the office, her husband Philip started to work alongside fitting and installing fencing.

Andrew sadly passed away in the year 2000.  Philip and Rachel took over the business. They have now moved away from the sawmill side now concentrating on the supply and fitting of fencing and garden buildings offering a service from start to finish. Fencing and garden buildings supplied and fitted along with standard and bespoke orders made to specification with groundwork if required.